Transgender H.S. Student Crowned Homecoming Queen
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2013 12:45 PM ET
Transgender high school student Cassidy Lynn Campbell was named Homecoming queen of Marina High School in Huntington Beach, Calif., on Friday.
Campbell, 16, faced four other finalists for the title. Students across the campus erupted in cheers when it was announced earlier that day that Campbell was among the finalists, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"I'm so proud to win this not just for me but for everyone out there and for every kid -- transgender, gay, straight, black, white, Mexican, Asian. It doesn't matter, you can be yourself," the high school senior said according to NBC Los Angeles.
Campbell has shared the intricacies of her transition on a YouTube channel, with videos ranging from makeup tips to injecting estrogen.
“Were proud of the message from home of the Vikings has been one of equity, acceptance, tolerance and respect,” Principal Morrow said.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks