Transgender H.S. Student Crowned Homecoming Queen
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2013 11:45 AM ET
Transgender high school student Cassidy Lynn Campbell was named Homecoming queen of Marina High School in Huntington Beach, Calif., on Friday.
Campbell, 16, faced four other finalists for the title. Students across the campus erupted in cheers when it was announced earlier that day that Campbell was among the finalists, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"I'm so proud to win this not just for me but for everyone out there and for every kid -- transgender, gay, straight, black, white, Mexican, Asian. It doesn't matter, you can be yourself," the high school senior said according to NBC Los Angeles.
Campbell has shared the intricacies of her transition on a YouTube channel, with videos ranging from makeup tips to injecting estrogen.
“Were proud of the message from home of the Vikings has been one of equity, acceptance, tolerance and respect,” Principal Morrow said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 27 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM