Transgender H.S. Student Crowned Homecoming Queen
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2013 12:45 PM ET
Transgender high school student Cassidy Lynn Campbell was named Homecoming queen of Marina High School in Huntington Beach, Calif., on Friday.
Campbell, 16, faced four other finalists for the title. Students across the campus erupted in cheers when it was announced earlier that day that Campbell was among the finalists, CBS Los Angeles reports.
"I'm so proud to win this not just for me but for everyone out there and for every kid -- transgender, gay, straight, black, white, Mexican, Asian. It doesn't matter, you can be yourself," the high school senior said according to NBC Los Angeles.
Campbell has shared the intricacies of her transition on a YouTube channel, with videos ranging from makeup tips to injecting estrogen.
“Were proud of the message from home of the Vikings has been one of equity, acceptance, tolerance and respect,” Principal Morrow said.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law