BY Albert Smith
January 22 2010 2:00 PM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I am a photographer because I like to steal those moments that we never see again and release back for everyone to enjoy.
What catches your eye?
Nonanimate objects, the heel of a six-inch pump, a child playing freely, a crooked smile, graffiti, and tragedy.
How do you choose your subjects?
I don't necessarily chose my subject but the total opposite. Most of my work is done spontaneously. I don't plan or seek out whom I am going to capture on film. The subjects are usually nonanimate and speak to me from a place that is undescribable. For instance, for my "Red Bike Diaries" series, I was just strolling along and I noitced I passed bicycles on every corner. I brushed it off as coincidence, but then the images stayed on my mind all day and all night. Even though my camera is always in my bag, I did not feel the need to snap photographs. A week later I begin to see clusters of bikes again and took that as a sign that I must capture those objects on film. Most artists tend to have these long, drawn-out, philosophical explanations for their work, but I feel the simpleness of my work is what makes it art.
How do you describe your work?
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good photograph is like a virgin: pure, sweet, innocent, eager, curious, and unexpected.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
My favorite artists are Beauford Delaney and Andy Warhol. Delaney embodied the true essence of a bothered soul who created an amazingly beautiful world. Though he suffered tremendously mentally and perished penniless, he left us with a colorful explosion of rich landscapes and portraits that are everlasting in character. He was the Harlem Renaissance! I adore Warhol because we were born on the same day!
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM