In The Galleries: Silvia Prada, 'The New Modern Hair'
BY Christopher Harrity
January 22 2013 7:18 PM ET
"The New Modern Hair" is an artistic representation of the subtle nuances and cues that help define the male persona, identity and representation within the parameters of visual and popular culture. With her book The New Modern Hair: A Styling Chart as departure point, Prada has created a series of drawings, poster montages, and large-scale murals, capturing the typecasting and idealized character building that has become ingrained in our minds through media, pop culture, and iconography.
The portraits — with titles ranging from The Flat Top to The Sportsman and also to Executive Contour – pay homage to vintage barbershop imagery and are juxtaposed with didactic geometric drawings; all loony remixes of 20th-century art movements such as Bauhaus, De Stijl and Russian Constructivism.
The exhibition features contributions by visual artists Marc Balet, Bruce LaBruce, Brian Kenny, Robert W. Richards, and Slava Mogutin among many others.
Now through February 26th at The Pacific Design Center, Los Angeles.
For more information: culture-edit.com/thenewmodernhair/
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 57 min 22 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 31 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 31 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 31 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM