In the Galleries: 'SHE'
BY Christopher Harrity
March 07 2013 6:16 PM ET
Three favorite artists return to the Advocate & Gochis Galleries to celebrate International Women’s Day (March 8). From painting to politics to photography, S.A. Bachman, Mary Grace McKernan, and Joan Scheibel combine to present an extraordinary range of expression.
By deftly manipulating popular media representations of suburban malaise and out-of-context ads, Bachman turns seemingly innocent, but obviously offensive, imagery against itself.
McKernan’s photography covers a lot of territory, from natural to urban landscapes. She also documents a rock concerts, capturing all the excitement and nostalgia of a show with the purpose of extending the concert experience and bringing us all together.
Scheibel’s series of paintings sometimes center on her own shadow and figure, while others unite with shapes and forms to create images that are playful, personal and discerning.
Exhibit dates: March 7- April 20, Opening Reception: Thurs Mar 7, 7-9 p.m. Admission to the Galleries is free.
For more information: LAGLC
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law