In the Galleries: 'SHE'
BY Christopher Harrity
March 07 2013 5:16 PM ET
Three favorite artists return to the Advocate & Gochis Galleries to celebrate International Women’s Day (March 8). From painting to politics to photography, S.A. Bachman, Mary Grace McKernan, and Joan Scheibel combine to present an extraordinary range of expression.
By deftly manipulating popular media representations of suburban malaise and out-of-context ads, Bachman turns seemingly innocent, but obviously offensive, imagery against itself.
McKernan’s photography covers a lot of territory, from natural to urban landscapes. She also documents a rock concerts, capturing all the excitement and nostalgia of a show with the purpose of extending the concert experience and bringing us all together.
Scheibel’s series of paintings sometimes center on her own shadow and figure, while others unite with shapes and forms to create images that are playful, personal and discerning.
Exhibit dates: March 7- April 20, Opening Reception: Thurs Mar 7, 7-9 p.m. Admission to the Galleries is free.
For more information: LAGLC
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 1 hour 14 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 2 hours 13 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 2 hours 14 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 44 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM