In the Galleries: Robert Trachtenberg
BY Christopher Harrity
May 07 2013 11:23 AM ET
"The Fox Hunt", a suite of photographs by Robert Trachtenberg, opens at Fuller + Roberts Co. on May 9th.
Robert Trachtenberg is a Los Angeles-based photographer noted for his portrait, entertainment, and fashion photography. His work has been selected for numerous awards, including the American Photography Annual, Communication Arts, and American Photo Magazine's Images of the Year.
Trachtenberg has also written, produced and directed several acclaimed documentaries, including profiles of George Cukor, Gene Kelly, Cary Grant, and Irving Thalberg. His most recent documentary about filmmaker Mel Brooks will premiere in May of 2013 on PBS' American Masters.
Trachtenberg is also the author of the bestselling book When I Knew, published by Harper Collins, and is a frequent contributor to The New York Times magazine.
In the suite of seven photographs, Trachtenberg takes static objects and gives them energy by placing them in romantic, life-sized scale environments. Says Trachtenberg:
"Scott Roberts of Fuller + Roberts acquired a set of vintage British 1930s lead figures of riders and dogs off on a fox hunt. They were cast in so many poses, and the patina on them was so interesting, I thought that by placing them in scale environments you would be able to look at them in a way you hadn't since you were a child — in a kind of heroic way."
Fuller + Roberts Co. is a curated furniture and decorative arts gallery located at 729 N. La Cienega Blvd. in the heart of the La Cienega Design Quarter. The gallery was opened by interior decorator Scott Roberts and Pushing Daisies writer/producer Bryan Fuller, whose latest television project is NBC's Hannibal. The gallery features many rare and custom pieces by noted 20th century designers such as William Haines and Gilbert Adrian, the famed MGM costume designer.
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 1 hour 2 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM