In the Galleries: Robert Trachtenberg
BY Christopher Harrity
May 07 2013 11:23 AM ET
"The Fox Hunt", a suite of photographs by Robert Trachtenberg, opens at Fuller + Roberts Co. on May 9th.
Robert Trachtenberg is a Los Angeles-based photographer noted for his portrait, entertainment, and fashion photography. His work has been selected for numerous awards, including the American Photography Annual, Communication Arts, and American Photo Magazine's Images of the Year.
Trachtenberg has also written, produced and directed several acclaimed documentaries, including profiles of George Cukor, Gene Kelly, Cary Grant, and Irving Thalberg. His most recent documentary about filmmaker Mel Brooks will premiere in May of 2013 on PBS' American Masters.
Trachtenberg is also the author of the bestselling book When I Knew, published by Harper Collins, and is a frequent contributor to The New York Times magazine.
In the suite of seven photographs, Trachtenberg takes static objects and gives them energy by placing them in romantic, life-sized scale environments. Says Trachtenberg:
"Scott Roberts of Fuller + Roberts acquired a set of vintage British 1930s lead figures of riders and dogs off on a fox hunt. They were cast in so many poses, and the patina on them was so interesting, I thought that by placing them in scale environments you would be able to look at them in a way you hadn't since you were a child — in a kind of heroic way."
Fuller + Roberts Co. is a curated furniture and decorative arts gallery located at 729 N. La Cienega Blvd. in the heart of the La Cienega Design Quarter. The gallery was opened by interior decorator Scott Roberts and Pushing Daisies writer/producer Bryan Fuller, whose latest television project is NBC's Hannibal. The gallery features many rare and custom pieces by noted 20th century designers such as William Haines and Gilbert Adrian, the famed MGM costume designer.
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 44 min 45 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2 hours 41 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 43 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 43 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 12:59 PM