In the Galleries: Past the Pillars of Hercules
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2013 4:02 AM ET
Working from early photography, which often mimicked the formality and grandeur of Academic Painting, photographic images of stoic Victorian gentlemen are transformed though vivid color and sensual brushwork into exotic, vulnerable creatures of desire.
“Past the Pillars of Hercules,” a show of new paintings by previous Artist Spotlight subject Aaron Smith, will have an opening reception Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. The exhibition continues from Saturday through November 17, 2013 at Sloan Fine Art @ Smart Clothes Gallery, 154 Stanton St., New York City.
Click through for more of Aaron Smith's work >>>
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Right-Wing Group Targets Trans-Friendly Federal Nominee