In the Galleries: Past the Pillars of Hercules
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2013 5:02 AM ET
Working from early photography, which often mimicked the formality and grandeur of Academic Painting, photographic images of stoic Victorian gentlemen are transformed though vivid color and sensual brushwork into exotic, vulnerable creatures of desire.
“Past the Pillars of Hercules,” a show of new paintings by previous Artist Spotlight subject Aaron Smith, will have an opening reception Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. The exhibition continues from Saturday through November 17, 2013 at Sloan Fine Art @ Smart Clothes Gallery, 154 Stanton St., New York City.
Click through for more of Aaron Smith's work >>>
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- Erasure is Back With a New Album and a Still Sexy Gay Rock Star
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media