In the Galleries: Past the Pillars of Hercules
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2013 5:02 AM ET
Working from early photography, which often mimicked the formality and grandeur of Academic Painting, photographic images of stoic Victorian gentlemen are transformed though vivid color and sensual brushwork into exotic, vulnerable creatures of desire.
“Past the Pillars of Hercules,” a show of new paintings by previous Artist Spotlight subject Aaron Smith, will have an opening reception Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. The exhibition continues from Saturday through November 17, 2013 at Sloan Fine Art @ Smart Clothes Gallery, 154 Stanton St., New York City.
Click through for more of Aaron Smith's work >>>
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing