Artist Spotlight: Ed Luce
BY Christopher Harrity
August 13 2011 3:00 AM ET
Ed Luce is an artist and writer from San Francisco who self-publishes the indie comic sensation Wuvable Oaf along with a line of related shirts and merchandise. Often referred to as the "Scott Pilgrim of gay comics," the story revolves around a large, scary-looking guy searching for love, his rather complicated relationship with cats, and his devotion to all sorts of good music. Along the way, readers meet a couple of warring queer rock bands and the Oaf's lovable cast of misfit friends, which includes pro wrestlers and cult celebrity guest stars.
Luce is also well-known for his comic's unusual special edition versions, which have included everything from lollipops to scratch-and-sniff trading cards to seven-inch vinyl record singles (featuring collaborations between legendary Bay Area bands Limp Wrist and Talk Is Poison).
Currently, Luce has two exhibitions of Oaf art running on the West Coast: One at Goteblüd, a vintage zine store in San Francisco's Mission district, and one at Floating World Comics in Portland, Ore. Over the next few months, Oaf will also be taking part in the San Francisco Zine Fest (September 3-4), the Alternative Press Expo (also in San Francisco, October 1 2) and the New York Art Book Fair at MoMA PS1 (represented by Matt Wobensmith, September 30-October 2).
For more information on these events and to shop for all things Oaf, visit WuvableOaf.com.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6 min 32 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 27 min 28 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 11 sec ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 10 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 29 min ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 46 min ago