Gay side of Alec Guinness to be revealed in upcoming biography
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2001 12:00 AM ET
The [London] Guardian reports that Sheridan Morleys authorized biography of Sir Alec Guinness will reveal that the character actor, who died in August, was arrested, charged, and fined for a homosexual act in a public lavatory in 1946. At the time he gave the name Herbert Pocket, a character from Charles Dickenss Great Expectations, to the authorities, and word never leaked to the press. When the same thing happened to John Gielgud nine years later, he made the mistake of using his actual surname, and the case dogged his career for years. Morley, the son of actor and Gielgud contemporary Robert Morley, said that Guinnesss gay side had always been known within the familys social circle. He points out that as a character actor he was a sort of spy, which made him good at deception in life as well as art. He was keeping secret this other side of his life. He was very, very high-church and guilt-ridden. At the time of his arrest, Guinness was married and had a young son.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 41 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM