Elton John reaps $2.75 million from car auction
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2001 12:00 AM ET
The recent Christies auction of Elton Johns used automobiles brought in nearly twice its official presale estimate, or $2.75 million, according to Reuters. The peripatetic singer chose to auction off his staggering collection of automobiles because he is rarely home to drive them and wants them to be cared for by other appreciative auto enthusiasts. The cars have been well-maintained, and they all boast exemplary sound systems since, as the pop star explains, music and cars go together. The top price paid was $331,350 for a 1993 Jaguar XJ220. A Christies spokeswoman said that the atmosphere was absolutely electric at the auction; John, however, was monitoring it from his home in Atlanta, remarking, When the bidding kept going up and up way above the estimates, I was both thrilled and surprised.... Theres obviously a lot of money to be made from secondhand cars!
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'