Camille Paglia Defends Madonna Op-ed
BY Julie Bolcer
September 27 2010 9:05 AM ET
Lesbian social critic and feminist Camille Paglia revisits her classic op-ed that declared Madonna “the future of feminism” on the 20th anniversary of its publication in The New York Times.
In a video interview Paglia stands by her assessment of the pop icon in 1990 during the era of the controversial and sexually charged “Justify My Love” video. She calls the op-ed “prophetic” and warns that feminists today dismiss Sarah Palin, whom Paglia considers a harbinger of a new kind of feminism, at their peril.
“All those tyrants, all those Puritans, all those prudes that I was attacking in that piece — indeed, they, like, wither away like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz,” shouts Paglia. “They're completely gone and I'm still here, and so are all the other pro-sex feminists."
Watch Paglia defend the piece.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody
- Op-ed: Why LGBT Millennials Should Care About Adoption
- Marriage Equality Virginia AG Asks Court to Dismiss Marriage Ban Challenge 13 min 19 sec ago
- Health WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' 1 hour 2 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody UPDATED: 1 hour 10 min ago
- Style Meet Sexy German Designer Working With Alan Cumming & ARMANI 1 hour 35 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Consumer Reports Now Ranks HIV Meds 2 hours 21 min ago
- Music 10 Singles You May Have Missed This Year 2 hours 54 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Confronting the 'Glitter Mafia' 10:00 AM