Streisand, Kramer Still at Odds
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 08 2011 2:15 PM ET
As The Normal Heart makes its Broadway bow and a film version is readied, Larry Kramer and Barbra Streisand are still trading barbs over her never-realized film adaptation of the work.
Streisand bought the film rights to Kramer’s semiautobiographical play about the early days of the AIDS epidemic after seeing its initial off-Broadway production in 1985. She intended to direct and act in the film version, but it never materialized, and the rights reverted to Kramer in the mid 1990s.
Each blames the other, according to a new report by Entertainment Weekly, in which Streisand calls Kramer “brilliant, courageous, stubborn, and self-destructive” and he says Steisand “never put her money where her mouth is.” She says he resisted changes to his work to make it more cinematic, and he says she wanted to make the character she planned to play, Dr. Emma Brookner, the protagonist of the film, marginalizing the gay characters.
Despite the lack of a Streisand film, The Normal Heart has endured. The first Broadway production of the play opened in April to rave reviews, and it has received several Tony nominations. Glee creator Ryan Murphy is set to direct a film version starring Mark Ruffalo as Ned Weeks, the activist character based on Kramer.
Read the full EW story here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 33 min 18 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 40 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 47 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 5:56 PM