BY Brandon Voss
July 01 2011 10:00 AM ET
How did you perceive the response from the gay community after you came out?
It was a little bit of a shock at first, but it was amazing the array of reactions I got from the gay community. Some people were very supportive, some people said that I had been outed, some people said it was about time, some people said it was too late, and some people just said, “Who cares?” That’s when I realized that you have to do it for yourself, because you can’t please everyone.
What advice would you give you an actor on the fence about coming out?
I would advise anyone not to come out immediately, but whenever you’re ready and feel safe that you can, you’ll be glad you did. However it ended up happening for me, because I was completely honest and because I did come out — even though I resisted that phrase for so many years — I feel I’m a better person, and I’m better able to do everything I do both in my private life and in my professional life.
Since you began speaking publicly about your partner and your marriage — notably as a guest on The View — have you felt pressure from gay rights groups or from gay people in general to be a mouthpiece for the community?
I’ve spoken out about marriage because I believe in it. It’s very personal for me, and I’ve been very lucky to be a part of that. I’ve worked with Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for as long as I’ve been an actor. So no, I don’t feel pressured. I feel like I’m able to do what I always would’ve done. I just try to stand up for what I believe in.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 11 min 54 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 18 min 54 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 21 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 38 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 49 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 1 hour 53 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 9 min ago