Cloud Atlas Director Says Censored Version of Her Movie 'Sucks'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 2:38 PM ET
When Cloud Atlas had its big premiere party in China, The Wrap reports that producers in the audience were shocked by what was missing — a full 30 minutes had been censored.
That 30 minutes, perhaps not surprisingly, included gay sex, but also reportedly included scenes between straight characters, plus violence. China often trims movies from overseas.
Lana Wachowski, the trans woman who cowrote and codirected the movie, was among those at the premiere and told reporters, "It sucks, really. But I believe you can watch the full version online."
The Wrap points out that might have been a jab at the country's piracy problem.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- South Dakota AG: Clerks Can Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses