Cloud Atlas Director Says Censored Version of Her Movie 'Sucks'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 2:38 PM ET
When Cloud Atlas had its big premiere party in China, The Wrap reports that producers in the audience were shocked by what was missing — a full 30 minutes had been censored.
That 30 minutes, perhaps not surprisingly, included gay sex, but also reportedly included scenes between straight characters, plus violence. China often trims movies from overseas.
Lana Wachowski, the trans woman who cowrote and codirected the movie, was among those at the premiere and told reporters, "It sucks, really. But I believe you can watch the full version online."
The Wrap points out that might have been a jab at the country's piracy problem.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM