Cloud Atlas Director Says Censored Version of Her Movie 'Sucks'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 2:38 PM ET
When Cloud Atlas had its big premiere party in China, The Wrap reports that producers in the audience were shocked by what was missing — a full 30 minutes had been censored.
That 30 minutes, perhaps not surprisingly, included gay sex, but also reportedly included scenes between straight characters, plus violence. China often trims movies from overseas.
Lana Wachowski, the trans woman who cowrote and codirected the movie, was among those at the premiere and told reporters, "It sucks, really. But I believe you can watch the full version online."
The Wrap points out that might have been a jab at the country's piracy problem.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad