Cloud Atlas Director Says Censored Version of Her Movie 'Sucks'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 2:38 PM ET
When Cloud Atlas had its big premiere party in China, The Wrap reports that producers in the audience were shocked by what was missing — a full 30 minutes had been censored.
That 30 minutes, perhaps not surprisingly, included gay sex, but also reportedly included scenes between straight characters, plus violence. China often trims movies from overseas.
Lana Wachowski, the trans woman who cowrote and codirected the movie, was among those at the premiere and told reporters, "It sucks, really. But I believe you can watch the full version online."
The Wrap points out that might have been a jab at the country's piracy problem.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 1 hour 34 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 59 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM