The Making of Rock Hudson Headed for Theaters
BY Jase Peeples
March 19 2013 5:25 PM ET
The Making Of Rock Hudson, a script by Tyler Ruggeri, has been acquired by Trudie Styler and Celine Rattray of Maven Pictures, who set plans in motion to bring the story of the legendary movie star’s secret life to the big screen, Deadline reports.
Told through the eyes of Henry Willson, the agent who discovered Hudson, the script tells the story of the actor’s transformation from a shy young Midwesterner into a Hollywood sex symbol — and the many secrets kept along the way.
“Tyler’s screenplay perfectly captures the daunting, and in many ways timeless, struggle between public and private persona,” Rattray and Styler told Deadline. “It was a time when a leading man’s career could be destroyed if the vice squads or the tabloids got the wrong impression.”
From Hudson’s arranged marriage to Phyllis Gates after a tabloid threatened to expose his homosexuality in 1955 to his highly publicized death as the first major movie star to die from AIDS-related complications in 1985, The Making of Rock Hudson will highlight the life of a man trapped in the closet by his own success, living in an era of deeply rooted homophobia.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM