BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2010 4:50 PM ET
Are your homes an influence on your writing or music?
don’t know that it particularly does influence my writing. But Realism
definitely couldn’t have been made without my spending a lot of time
visiting the musical instrument stores of Los Angeles. Because there’s
so many South American/Central American instruments that I just
wouldn’t have gotten in New York.
“You Must Be Out of Your Mind” is a wonderful kiss-off song, a wonderful song in general.
How autobiographical is your material?
most of it not at all. But it does explain the world in terms of my
record collection; my record collection is such an important part of
who I am that I don’t think it’s trivial to say.
So what are you listening to now?
now I am listening to a record set of John Foxx and Harold Budd —
translucence and drift music. It’s wonderful for being able to listen
to and not listen to.
This is a bit of a generalization, but why do you not think there are not more gay folk singers?
I think it may have to do more with being openly gay than who is gay.
There are plenty of gay men doing quiet music; they just aren’t in the
club scene, so they’re forced into not being open about it.
a man singing about men in some of your songs — is that a nonissue in
the world you work in? The indie world, quote, unquote.
I’m not in the indie music world. I’ve had a major record label deal for 10 years.
“Indie” is more of a generalization — I mean in the world where you operate.
Which is what?
In the interactions that you have.
I don’t think of myself as being in one particular social scene relating to music.
I guess I’m just asking if it’s an issue in your working life.
that I know of. Every five years when I accidentally read my press, I
discover that when people don’t like my music they tend to use the word camp. And that’s sure a code word if I’ve ever heard one. So at least
a significant chunk of bad reviews I get are actually specifically
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM