BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2010 5:50 PM ET
Are your homes an influence on your writing or music?
don’t know that it particularly does influence my writing. But Realism
definitely couldn’t have been made without my spending a lot of time
visiting the musical instrument stores of Los Angeles. Because there’s
so many South American/Central American instruments that I just
wouldn’t have gotten in New York.
“You Must Be Out of Your Mind” is a wonderful kiss-off song, a wonderful song in general.
How autobiographical is your material?
most of it not at all. But it does explain the world in terms of my
record collection; my record collection is such an important part of
who I am that I don’t think it’s trivial to say.
So what are you listening to now?
now I am listening to a record set of John Foxx and Harold Budd —
translucence and drift music. It’s wonderful for being able to listen
to and not listen to.
This is a bit of a generalization, but why do you not think there are not more gay folk singers?
I think it may have to do more with being openly gay than who is gay.
There are plenty of gay men doing quiet music; they just aren’t in the
club scene, so they’re forced into not being open about it.
a man singing about men in some of your songs — is that a nonissue in
the world you work in? The indie world, quote, unquote.
I’m not in the indie music world. I’ve had a major record label deal for 10 years.
“Indie” is more of a generalization — I mean in the world where you operate.
Which is what?
In the interactions that you have.
I don’t think of myself as being in one particular social scene relating to music.
I guess I’m just asking if it’s an issue in your working life.
that I know of. Every five years when I accidentally read my press, I
discover that when people don’t like my music they tend to use the word camp. And that’s sure a code word if I’ve ever heard one. So at least
a significant chunk of bad reviews I get are actually specifically
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 10 min 40 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 28 min 40 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 30 min 47 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 53 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 35 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 40 min ago