Ricky Martin to Nancy Alvarez: We're Born This Way
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 06 2012 3:05 PM ET
Nancy Alvarez, the colorful former host of Univision's Spanish-language TV show Quién Tiene la Razon, has stepped in it again, this time telling AOL Latino that people are made gay by "mistakes made by their parents" in response to a tweet from Ricky Martin arguing that people are born gay and not made gay, as are heterosexuals born that way rather than "made straight."
According to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which responded to Alvarez's comments with a column on today's AOL Latino, Martin took to Twitter "after the question was posed on an unfortunately biased segment about so-called conversion therapies that promise to change a person’s orientation on Univision nighttime newsmagazine program Aquí y Ahora, a show that usually produces fair, accurate and inclusive coverage of LGBT people."
Alvarez, who bills herself as a sexologist and a doctor, has previously said that she was concerned about gay parents and the effects they may have on their kids.
"Unfortunately, Nancy Alvarez’s comments are only a symptom of a larger problem," GLAAD wrote in response. "Though true that in recent years, we’ve seen a growing number of positive representations of LGBT people and issues in Spanish-language media, (meaning that millions of Latinos are getting to know LGBT people as their neighbors, friends, co-workers and family members), as with English-language media, there’s plenty of room for improvement."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 42 min 41 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 19 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 32 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM