'Call Me Maybe' Singer Speaks Out For LGBT Equality
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 18 2012 1:21 PM ET
Carly Rae Jepsen, whose video for her infectious single "Call Me Maybe" ends with the singer losing the boy of her dreams to another guy, says she's always been at ease with gay people, during an interview with Time magazine.
Jepsen says the decision for the gay twist at the end of her video, which became a sensation after teen idol and record label mate Justin Bieber tweeted he thinks the song is the catchiest he's ever heard, was actually the idea of her director. "We both knew we wanted the ending to be fun and unpredictable, and when I read that idea, I loved it," she says. "It just seemed so perfect."
It's therefore unsurprising that the 25-year-old musician supports LGBT equality. "You know, acceptance has never even been a question to me," she tells Time. "I’ve grown up knowing it’s just the way things should be. When we shot the 'Call Me Maybe' video, we weren’t even thinking the ending was not normal. I have so many gay friends that I love. It’s a regular thing. And if my video is encouraging that mind frame with other children and other people—well, it’s about time, I guess!"
Watch Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" video below.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 19 min 10 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 19 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM