'Call Me Maybe' Singer Speaks Out For LGBT Equality
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 18 2012 2:21 PM ET
Carly Rae Jepsen, whose video for her infectious single "Call Me Maybe" ends with the singer losing the boy of her dreams to another guy, says she's always been at ease with gay people, during an interview with Time magazine.
Jepsen says the decision for the gay twist at the end of her video, which became a sensation after teen idol and record label mate Justin Bieber tweeted he thinks the song is the catchiest he's ever heard, was actually the idea of her director. "We both knew we wanted the ending to be fun and unpredictable, and when I read that idea, I loved it," she says. "It just seemed so perfect."
It's therefore unsurprising that the 25-year-old musician supports LGBT equality. "You know, acceptance has never even been a question to me," she tells Time. "I’ve grown up knowing it’s just the way things should be. When we shot the 'Call Me Maybe' video, we weren’t even thinking the ending was not normal. I have so many gay friends that I love. It’s a regular thing. And if my video is encouraging that mind frame with other children and other people—well, it’s about time, I guess!"
Watch Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" video below.
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM