Country Entertainers Who Support LGBT Equality
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 21 2012 7:10 AM ET
What happened when country singer Chely Wright came out in 2010 makes it no wonder there was such a brouhaha earlier this month when Carrie Underwood stated her support for marriage equality.
While we consider k.d. lang a pioneer, we also think of her as primarily a pop vocalist, and Wright was the first notable country musician to come out publicly. The singer received some death threats and hate mail from conservative fans who couldn't accept her sexual orientation. Overall, though, Wright says the response was "really positive." Although no male country performers offered her encouragement, a few women expressed support, though not publicly. "Privately — Faith Hill, Trisha Yearwood, and Naomi Judd," Wright revealed to SiriusXM host Michelangelo Signorile. "I think some of the artists really have a fundamental belief that there's something wrong with me," she added. "But I think most of the artists don't want their fans to know that they're supportive of me because they don't want to lose a record sale. "The only ones who supported me publicly are Mary Chapin Carpenter, LeAnn Rimes, and SHeDAISY," Wright said.
Although it's two years later and Underwood touched on the marriage issue, she is actually not alone in speaking out for LGBT equality. On the following pages, learn about some of the other country performers who have publicly expressed their support for LGBT causes.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 2 hours 42 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM