50 Cent Defends Frank Ocean, Supports Marriage Equality
BY Lucas Grindley
July 19 2012 1:49 PM ET
Rapper 50 Cent sounded supportive of same-sex marriage and of out singer Frank Ocean in an interview with MTV UK, warning the market that Ocean's success or failure could be a turning point for hip-hop.
"Obama is for same-sex marriage," he said. "If the president is saying that, then who am I to go the other way?" 50 Cent followed Jay-Z, Will Smith, and T.I. in saying they support the president's stance.
And 50 Cent had tough words for anyone who has a problem with Ocean, whose new album, Channel Orange, has had a stellar debut. It opened at No. 2 on Billboard’s Top 200 Album Chart.
"Anyone that has an issue with Frank Ocean is an idiot," 50 Cent said in the interview. "I think Frank Ocean is a talented artist, I think he's created material that made me know his name, that impressed me, with things he said on a song like 'Novacane.'"
50 Cent said Ocean's decision to come out before his album dropped could be "revolutionary." But he was cautious about what might happen next.
"The results of how popular the music becomes now would say how cool or uncool it is to being open," he said, "so I'm sure the gay community will go out and support Frank Ocean. They have to. Because the more successful that project is now is going to leave people in a position to say, look, I'm gay."
Watch the complete interview below, then listen to "Novacane" (explicit).
Get More: Music News
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM