50 Cent Defends Frank Ocean, Supports Marriage Equality
BY Lucas Grindley
July 19 2012 2:49 PM ET
Rapper 50 Cent sounded supportive of same-sex marriage and of out singer Frank Ocean in an interview with MTV UK, warning the market that Ocean's success or failure could be a turning point for hip-hop.
"Obama is for same-sex marriage," he said. "If the president is saying that, then who am I to go the other way?" 50 Cent followed Jay-Z, Will Smith, and T.I. in saying they support the president's stance.
And 50 Cent had tough words for anyone who has a problem with Ocean, whose new album, Channel Orange, has had a stellar debut. It opened at No. 2 on Billboard’s Top 200 Album Chart.
"Anyone that has an issue with Frank Ocean is an idiot," 50 Cent said in the interview. "I think Frank Ocean is a talented artist, I think he's created material that made me know his name, that impressed me, with things he said on a song like 'Novacane.'"
50 Cent said Ocean's decision to come out before his album dropped could be "revolutionary." But he was cautious about what might happen next.
"The results of how popular the music becomes now would say how cool or uncool it is to being open," he said, "so I'm sure the gay community will go out and support Frank Ocean. They have to. Because the more successful that project is now is going to leave people in a position to say, look, I'm gay."
Watch the complete interview below, then listen to "Novacane" (explicit).
Get More: Music News
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- A Letter to My Partners
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 6 min 26 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 8 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 21 min 31 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 25 min 18 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 27 min 12 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 13 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 28 min ago