WATCH: Young Trans Woman Rocks Chris Brown's 'Don't Wake Me Up'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2012 3:38 PM ET
A 20-year-old transgender woman in Cologne, Germany has become a YouTube sensation with her catchy, bubbly rendition of Chris Brown's "Don't Wake Me Up."
Kim Petras has been in the spotlight since she first made international headlines when she underwent gender reassignment surgery at just 16 years old.
Now the aspiring pop star has racked up nearly half a million views on her YouTube cover of Brown's track. Petras has an undeniably powerful voice, and most of the comments on her video are supportive, complimenting Petras' courage, vocal range, and originality. Several commenters said Petras' rendition is better than Brown's original recording of the song.
Take a look for yourself:
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Kids React to Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police