WATCH: Young Trans Woman Rocks Chris Brown's 'Don't Wake Me Up'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2012 3:38 PM ET
A 20-year-old transgender woman in Cologne, Germany has become a YouTube sensation with her catchy, bubbly rendition of Chris Brown's "Don't Wake Me Up."
Kim Petras has been in the spotlight since she first made international headlines when she underwent gender reassignment surgery at just 16 years old.
Now the aspiring pop star has racked up nearly half a million views on her YouTube cover of Brown's track. Petras has an undeniably powerful voice, and most of the comments on her video are supportive, complimenting Petras' courage, vocal range, and originality. Several commenters said Petras' rendition is better than Brown's original recording of the song.
Take a look for yourself:
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 24 min 16 sec ago
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM