WATCH: Young Trans Woman Rocks Chris Brown's 'Don't Wake Me Up'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 24 2012 3:38 PM ET
A 20-year-old transgender woman in Cologne, Germany has become a YouTube sensation with her catchy, bubbly rendition of Chris Brown's "Don't Wake Me Up."
Kim Petras has been in the spotlight since she first made international headlines when she underwent gender reassignment surgery at just 16 years old.
Now the aspiring pop star has racked up nearly half a million views on her YouTube cover of Brown's track. Petras has an undeniably powerful voice, and most of the comments on her video are supportive, complimenting Petras' courage, vocal range, and originality. Several commenters said Petras' rendition is better than Brown's original recording of the song.
Take a look for yourself:
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod