Is Eminem Bashing Gays on His New Album?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 20 2013 4:00 PM ET
Like Paula Deen and the N word, Eminem is the homophobic gift that keeps on giving, so say some media pundits. In the past the rapper has been lambasted for his use of gay slurs and lyrics that incite violence against gay men (and women of all stripes, but that's a different story). But after coming out in support of marriage equality and telling gay journalist Anderson Cooper in 2010 that he doesn't have any problem with gays, Eminem has released a new album with more of that famed politically incorrect lingo.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Eminem released a six-minute cut off his Marshall Mathers LP 2 titled "Rap God," which features more than one homophobic verses.
Two of the cited examples of his lyrics:
"I attempt these lyrical acrobat stunts while I’m practicing that / I’ll still be able to break a motherfuckin’ table / Over the back of a couple of faggots and crack it in half / Only realized it was ironic I was signed to Aftermath after the fact."
"Little gay-looking boy / So gay I can barely say it with a straight face-looking boy / You witnessing massacre like you watching a church gathering taking place-looking boy / ‘Oy vey, that boy’s gay,’ that’s all they say looking-boy / You take a thumbs up, pat on the back, the way you go from your label every day-looking boy."
Eminem told Cooper that the word "faggot" was "thrown around constantly, to each other, like in battling" in the rap world, but to him it's not gay bashing. And of course he counts gay icon Elton John as a fan and friend.
So is this more Slim Shady posturing or something deeper to critique? No doubt fans and LGBT activists (some of who are one in the same if sales figures are correct) will be debating it for weeks, increasing the "rap god's" sales.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM