Rapper A$AP Rocky: 'I Have Respect for Gay Men Who Come Out'
BY Jase Peeples
May 02 2013 2:36 PM ET
Rap music may not have had a reputation for embracing the LGBT community in the past, but artists like A$AP Rocky are proof that attitudes are evolving rapidly.
The rap artist recently spoke out in support of gay men in the public eye who come out of the closet and said he supported anyone who embraced their sexuality.
Rocky weighed in on out artist Frank Ocean and NBA center Jason Collins’s historic announcement in Sports Illustrated magazine confirming he is a gay man. “I respect men more for coming out.,” he told 93.9 WKYS radio. “They joke on Frank Ocean a lot, but at least he ain’t out here frontin’. It’s a lot of mothafucka’s they be out here they be in the closet mothafucka’s. I don’t respect them. I respect gay men who identify it and they out with it. I don’t have a problem with gay people at all.”
However, this isn’t the first time the rap artist has raised his voice in support of LGBT people. He recently spoke with Interview magazine about the need for hip-hop to evolve further in its acceptance of diversity and named several top artists in the genre who he felt were setting an admirable example of ending homophobia. “It's 2013, and it's a shame that, to this day, that topic still gets people all excited. It's crazy,” he said. “We've got people like Jay-Z. We've got people like Kanye. We've got people like me. We're all prime examples of people who don't think like that. I treat everybody equal, and so I want to be sure that my listeners and my followers do the same if they're gonna represent me. And if I'm gonna represent them, then I also want to do it in a good way.”
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 4 min 7 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 34 min 4 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 39 min 13 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 2 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 3 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 2 hours 24 min ago