WATCH: Macklemore Comes Out as an ACLU Supporter
BY Jase Peeples
November 12 2013 3:34 PM ET
Rap superstar and LGBT ally Macklemore is proudly coming out as a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.
The ACLU, which is described as “the nation's premier group that defends civil rights and liberties for all Americans” on the organization’s website, has partnered with the “Same Love” rapper for a witty new ad encouraging people to join the fight and carry the ACLU membership card.
"I've got a lot of things to do during the day. So something like being beaten with a club, pepper-sprayed, and tased for expressing my political views would really slow me down. That's why I carry the ACLU card," Macklemore says in the 50-second video. “It’s the only card that lets my gay friends marry the hell out of each other. The card that says, ‘Hey girl, it’s your vagina and you should be able to do what you want with it.’”
In addition to the new video, Macklemore is also participating in an ACLU-sponsored contest as a part of efforts to bring attention to the fight for civil liberties. Participants can enter to win tickets and backstage passes to see the rap artist perform live in Seattle December 12.
Watch Macklemore his signature smooth-styled support in a the below video, and for more on how you can help join the fight for civil liberties, visit ACLU.org.
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Lesbian Couple Allegedly Beaten After Kissing Outside Six Flags New England
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- He Said, She Said: Privilege Check On I Am Cait