WATCH: Macklemore Comes Out as an ACLU Supporter
BY Jase Peeples
November 12 2013 3:34 PM ET
Rap superstar and LGBT ally Macklemore is proudly coming out as a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.
The ACLU, which is described as “the nation's premier group that defends civil rights and liberties for all Americans” on the organization’s website, has partnered with the “Same Love” rapper for a witty new ad encouraging people to join the fight and carry the ACLU membership card.
"I've got a lot of things to do during the day. So something like being beaten with a club, pepper-sprayed, and tased for expressing my political views would really slow me down. That's why I carry the ACLU card," Macklemore says in the 50-second video. “It’s the only card that lets my gay friends marry the hell out of each other. The card that says, ‘Hey girl, it’s your vagina and you should be able to do what you want with it.’”
In addition to the new video, Macklemore is also participating in an ACLU-sponsored contest as a part of efforts to bring attention to the fight for civil liberties. Participants can enter to win tickets and backstage passes to see the rap artist perform live in Seattle December 12.
Watch Macklemore his signature smooth-styled support in a the below video, and for more on how you can help join the fight for civil liberties, visit ACLU.org.
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 5 min 40 sec ago
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 48 min 23 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House OKs Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 58 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 1 hour 24 min ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 1 hour 31 min ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 38 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 43 min ago