Mother Scrawls Antigay Declination to 7-Year-Old's Birthday Party
BY Daniel Reynolds
February 13 2014 1:23 PM ET
UPDATE, 2/15/14: This was all a hoax. The radio station apologized.
A mother has declined an invitation her son received to a 7-year-old’s birthday party, citing to her disapproval of the “lifestyle” of the birthday girl's same-sex parents as the primary reason.
K98.3, a local New York radio station, posted an image on its Facebook page of the brightly colored invite, which reads “You’re invited to Sophia’s 7th Birthday. It’s a Tie Dye Party!” On the margins of the text, the antigay mother scrawled her reasons for not attending.
“Tommy will NOT attend,” the Long Island mom wrote to the two fathers, who reside in Baldwin, N.Y. “I do not believe in what you do and will not subject my innocent son to your ‘lifestyle.’”
“I’m sorry Sophia has to grow up this way. If you have an issue or need to speak to me,” she continues, before including her phone number at the end.
“Do you think she was right to write this?” the radio station prompted in its Facebook caption. “Would a simple phone call RSVP'ing 'no' been better?”
K98.3 assured its followers that the mother had given the station permission to include her phone number in the image, “and said anyone who has a problem with what she wrote can call her, too.”
See the uncensored image of the invitation and phone number on the station's Facebook page.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House