Radio DJs Sorry For Birthday Invitation Hoax
BY Michelle Garcia
February 15 2014 6:17 PM ET
Two Long Island, N.Y., radio DJs apologized for setting up a hoax that spread all over the internet, in which a homophobic mother hatefully declined an invitation to a birthday party for a child whose parents are gay.
Steve Harper and Leeana Costa, hosts of the K-98.3 Morning Show, posted the note on Thursday on their show's Facebook page.
“I do not believe in what you do and will not subject my innocent son to your ‘lifestyle,’” the note read. “I’m sorry Sophia has to grow up this way. If you have an issue or need to speak to me.”
K-98.3 assured its followers that the mother had given the station permission to include her phone number in the image, “and said anyone who has a problem with what she wrote can call her, too.”
Harper and Costa apologized on Friday for perpetuating the fictitious invitation.
"This story was, in fact, totally fictitious, and created by the two of us," the hosts wrote on the show's website on Friday. "This was done without the knowledge of K-98.3 management or ownership. We were attempting to spur a healthy discourse on a highly passionate topic, but we made a mistake by misleading our listeners into thinking that this specific situation actually existed."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 3 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 1 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 7 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 30 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 39 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 46 min ago