Radio DJs Sorry For Birthday Invitation Hoax
BY Michelle Garcia
February 15 2014 5:17 PM ET
Two Long Island, N.Y., radio DJs apologized for setting up a hoax that spread all over the internet, in which a homophobic mother hatefully declined an invitation to a birthday party for a child whose parents are gay.
Steve Harper and Leeana Costa, hosts of the K-98.3 Morning Show, posted the note on Thursday on their show's Facebook page.
“I do not believe in what you do and will not subject my innocent son to your ‘lifestyle,’” the note read. “I’m sorry Sophia has to grow up this way. If you have an issue or need to speak to me.”
K-98.3 assured its followers that the mother had given the station permission to include her phone number in the image, “and said anyone who has a problem with what she wrote can call her, too.”
Harper and Costa apologized on Friday for perpetuating the fictitious invitation.
"This story was, in fact, totally fictitious, and created by the two of us," the hosts wrote on the show's website on Friday. "This was done without the knowledge of K-98.3 management or ownership. We were attempting to spur a healthy discourse on a highly passionate topic, but we made a mistake by misleading our listeners into thinking that this specific situation actually existed."
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 14 min 45 sec ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 1 hour 15 min ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 2 hours 14 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM