BY Albert Smith
January 29 2010 5:40 PM ET
Tiger Munson is a photographic artist who lives in Los Angeles. He has a B.A. in Theatre Arts from UCLA, is a graduate of Harvard University, holds an MFA in Studio Arts from Cal State Los Angeles and teaches photography in the Los Angeles Unified School District. In addition to his interest in portrait photography, some of his projects have included photo series on gay bar restrooms, action figure headshots, the Burning Man cultural festival and bad landscaping.
The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Advocate and Gochis Galleries present Open/Closed, a solo exhibition of photographs by cutting-edge photographer Tiger Munson. It runs February 4 through Friday, March 26.
Why are you a photographer?
Well, It’s one way I find meaning. There is so much richness in the world: stuff that I see and experience, and so many moments that won’t be there again by definition, so it is the closest way for me to capture the thing, the temporality of it all. We all have our own amazing walk to walk. No one else has had this infinitesimal slice of time or view and I want to share it, that I think what I see is of interest. Turning that fraction of experience into something that will last is fun. Its like a beautiful testament, because then its gone. Psychologically, I think it’s a way to both be a participant but also an observer: To maintain interest in the world, one foot in, one foot out so to speak.
What catches your eye?
Interesting similarities and juxtapositions, colors, things I see that suggest or represent a specific world or idea to me. Or a kernel of some other world. I like surprises a lot. And I do tend to like to photograph people: in their unique, beautiful, weirdness, realness, fabulousness and performative glory!
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 2 min 26 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 28 min 2 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 12 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM