BY Advocate Contributors
September 10 2010 3:00 AM ET
When U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker ruled on August 4 that California’s Proposition 8 was unconstitutional, people gathered by the thousands across the state to celebrate the demise of the voter-approved law, which in 2008 took away gay couples’ right to marry. Although the party was short-lived—less than two weeks later the ninth circuit court of appeals issued a stay on Walker’s ruling, keeping marriage just out of reach—the enthusiasm captured in these images will certainly help fuel the continued battle for marriage equality.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6