Dave Salmoni: Dominant Male
BY Brandon Voss
August 14 2009 12:00 AM ET
How'd you cope without a gym for six months?
My trainer taught me long ago how to apply my workouts in the bush. I used water cans as weights and tree branches for chin-ups. And I did lots of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats.
I see you've shaved your leonine beard since leaving the bush.
Yeah, the network wasn't too impressed with it. Halfway through the show, you'll notice that it takes a taming too. By episode 4, I remember getting a phone call from the network, like, "Dave, you know that whole idea where you weren't going to shave or cut your hair? We need to trim that thing."
You've posed for your share of beefcake photos in the last few years. How do you feel about so much attention being placed on your looks?
I was very bashful about it when it started because I definitely grew up in the background; I was never the good-looking guy in the group. When people talked about it at first, I didn't know how to respond to it. Now, if people are going to talk about me in that way, I think it's awesome and superflattering — and hey, maybe I'll get a date out of it.
What do you think about Animal Planet's "Salmoni Showers with Lions" promotional video on YouTube?
Very embarrassing. The first thing I thought when I saw it was, Yeah, I'm going to get teased a lot. And it's true. I'll sit on Twitter and a bunch of people will be like, "I love it." Then others will be laughing, like, "Come on!" My younger sister teases the heck out of me.
I actually first discovered you when Towleroad.com posted your shower video earlier this week. How conscious are you of your gay fan base?
I'm really conscious of it, and I think it's awesome. They've been a really vocal group over the years. I feel like my gay fans are the most appreciative. I get lots of e-mails from them, and they're not shy. A young girl may say, "Hey, I really like you, you're kinda cute," whereas a gay guy will be like, "Hey, take your shirt off more and you'll get better ratings."
Do you have any gay friends in your pride?
I have a fair number because my mother's a figure skating coach and there's a strong gay community there. I definitely grew up with lots of gay friends. Toronto, where I live, is a pretty open city, so my friends are a pretty healthy mix of gay and straight.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM