George Takei and Nicole Richie Join 'The New Normal'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 02 2012 2:36 PM ET
Ryan Murphy, creator of Glee, American Horror Story, and The New Normal — and arguably the busiest gay man in Hollywood — announced Friday that George Takei (Star Trek) and Nicole Richie (The Simple Life) will be joining the cast of the gay family sitcom The New Normal.
"Proud to announce Nicole Richie and the legendary George Takei are joining The New Normal family," Murphy tweeted.
The creator didn't offer any further details on how the stars will fit into the family, but that might be because he's been busy adding two new shows to his already-booked roster. Murphy just sold a family thriller called Montauk to Fox and an comedy to NBC, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Murphy will serve as executive producer on both projects.
The New Normal is Murphy's first half-hour comedy, and he coproduces it with out lesbian Ali Adler. The sitcom, following a pair of gay men as they find a surrogate to give birth to their baby, will receive top honors at a Southern California event hosted by the national Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. Murphy was recognized by the organization in 2010 for his work on Glee.
"This show is a natural fit for our Southern California honors this year," said Jody M. Huckaby, executive director of PFLAG National, in a press release. "It enlightens as it entertains, and expands the general public's understanding of the many different types of families — families with two dads, single-parent families, multigenerational families, multiracial families — that already exist in our own communities. The New Normal elevates the stories of LGBT loved ones so that everyone will know that what some people refer to as 'the new normal' is just 'family' to us at PFLAG."
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 40 min 32 sec ago
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 1 hour 18 min ago
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 2 hours 32 min ago
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM