Sally Field Says More Parents Must Advocate for Their Gay Kids
BY Michelle Garcia
November 30 2012 4:52 PM ET
Sally Field will open up to Oprah Winfrey this Sunday about raising her gay son, weeks after accepting an ally award from the Human Rights Campaign, presented by her son Sam.
"It’s important to have a parent speak about raising a magnificent, proud, intelligent, funny, lovable, sexy gay son," Field says on Oprah's Next Chapter. "And there are so many parents who are frightened of that and who don’t embrace their children as they struggle. Those children are struggling to embrace who they are, who nature — what nature intended them to be."
Field was interviewed by Winfrey along with her Lincoln costar Daniel Day-Lewis and director Steven Spielberg, who says he was moved to tears while filming this historical drama. The episode of Oprah's Next Chapter airs Sunday at 9 p.m.
- BREAKING: Kim Davis 'In Custody' for Contempt of Court
- Kim Davis and Judge Deciding Her Fate Face Nepotism Allegations
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis