Chick-fil-A's Odd Explanation for the Missing Kids Meal Muppets
BY Lucas Grindley
July 24 2012 7:48 PM ET
Children won't find Muppets inside Chick-fil-A kids meals anymore. And there seems to be disagreement over exactly why.
The makers of the Muppets finger puppets — the Jim Henson Company — publicly ended its relationship with the restaurant chain in a Facebook post dated Friday decrying the company's opposition to marriage equality. The chicken chain's president, Dan Cathy, has spoken out against same-sex marriage and the company has donated millions to antigay groups. So the Jim Henson Company promised to donate any money it had already made from the partnership to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
But today some Chick-fil-A locations have been caught posting signs claiming the toys have disappeared because they were "voluntarily recalled" and are "a possible safety issue." Photos of the signs have appeared online.
"Please be advised that there have not been any cases in which a child has actually been injured," one sign being shared online states, "however there have been some reports of children getting their fingers stuck in the holes of the puppets."
Representatives for the Jim Henson Company said it had no further comment, and nothing more has been posted on the company's Facebook page, where it originally posted notice of the deal's end.
"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors," the statement said. "Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 39 min 43 sec ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM