Miss Piggy, Kermit Dump Chick-fil-A
BY Neal Broverman
July 23 2012 10:59 AM ET
After Chick-fil-A's CEO confirmed his opposition to gay rights earlier this month, the repercussions keep coming — the latest is an announcement from the Jim Henson Company that they will no longer provide toys for the chicken chain's meals.
The Jim Henson Co., which controls the popular Muppets characters, is severing ties with Chick-fil-A, specifically for Cathy's comments. The company previously provided “Jim Henson Creature Puppets” for Chick-Fil-A kids’ meals.
The acrimony started after Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy was asked by the Baptist Press if he was opposed to marriage equality and he responded, "Guilty as charged." He also added, "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
The Jim Henson Co. made its Chick-fil-A announcement on its Facebook page on Friday:
"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD."
This news follows Boston mayor Thomas Menino's announcement last week that he would use his power to ensure the Atlanta-based chain didn't open another restaurant in his city.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM