New Ad Another Example That Target Is Looking Pro-Gay These Days
BY Lucas Grindley
July 26 2012 4:06 PM ET
While Chick-fil-A gets hammered for its vocal and financial opposition to marriage equality, the question of whether a boycott makes a difference is inevitably resurrected.
And as evidence that companies change in response to their customers (if not because of a boycott by some directly), a fairly new advertisement from Target stores deserves attention. It shows two grooms embracing with the caption, "That's Love." And it's being praised by LGBT bloggers.
"Target’s Same-Sex Wedding Registry Ad Is Kinda Awesome," was the headline on The New Civil Rights Movement.
"Clearly Target's trying to send us a message," wrote Instinct magazine. "And we're receiving it loud and clear."
After being widely criticized by LGBT activists for donating to antigay candidates and political groups in 2010, the store's CEO was confronted repeatedly during a shareholders meeting and pledged to remain neutral in the marriage equality debate raging in the company's home state of Minnesota.
But since then it's issued an It Gets Better, sold T-shirts honoring pride month that benefitted the Family Equality Council, and started selling inclusive greeting cards you can give to a same-sex couple getting married.
While we couldn't locate the ad on Target's website, The New Civil Rights Movement reports that the wedding registry ad was released in June but is only now getting attention. Similar ads with the "Be Yourself, Together" tagline show straight couples.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM