New Ad Another Example That Target Is Looking Pro-Gay These Days
BY Lucas Grindley
July 26 2012 4:06 PM ET
While Chick-fil-A gets hammered for its vocal and financial opposition to marriage equality, the question of whether a boycott makes a difference is inevitably resurrected.
And as evidence that companies change in response to their customers (if not because of a boycott by some directly), a fairly new advertisement from Target stores deserves attention. It shows two grooms embracing with the caption, "That's Love." And it's being praised by LGBT bloggers.
"Target’s Same-Sex Wedding Registry Ad Is Kinda Awesome," was the headline on The New Civil Rights Movement.
"Clearly Target's trying to send us a message," wrote Instinct magazine. "And we're receiving it loud and clear."
After being widely criticized by LGBT activists for donating to antigay candidates and political groups in 2010, the store's CEO was confronted repeatedly during a shareholders meeting and pledged to remain neutral in the marriage equality debate raging in the company's home state of Minnesota.
But since then it's issued an It Gets Better, sold T-shirts honoring pride month that benefitted the Family Equality Council, and started selling inclusive greeting cards you can give to a same-sex couple getting married.
While we couldn't locate the ad on Target's website, The New Civil Rights Movement reports that the wedding registry ad was released in June but is only now getting attention. Similar ads with the "Be Yourself, Together" tagline show straight couples.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 35 min 32 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 39 min 59 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 55 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 44 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM