Activists Urge Berenstain Bears to Dump Chick-fil-A
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 09 2012 6:38 PM ET
HarperCollins, publisher of the popular Berenstain Bears childrenâ€™s books, is being pressured to sever ties with Chick-fil-A due to its presidentâ€™s controversial comments against same-sex marriage. The publisher is set to partner with the chicken-oriented fast food chain on its kidsâ€™ meals later this month.
On Wednesday morning, members of SumOfUs.org and CREDO Action delivered a petition with 80,000 signatures to the HarperCollins office in New York City. They included a copy of The Berenstain Bears and the New Neighbors, along with the message that Chick-fil-A's actions runs contrary to the Bearsâ€™ teachings and values.
"HarperCollins needs to learn a lesson from its own Berenstain Bears, which teach children about the values of acceptance, and the dangers of bigotry," said Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, founder of SumOfUs.org, to the New York Daily News. "By partnering with Chick-fil-A, a company that actively bankrolls hatred and discrimination against the LGBT community, HarperCollins is undermining the lessons of the beloved Bear family.â€ť
She urged the publisher to follow the lead of the Jim Henson Company, which pulled its Muppets toys from the restaurant chain late last month.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM