Happy Birthday Moms Mabley
BY Jami Smith
March 20 2014 12:17 PM ET
It seems fitting that Moms Mabley's birthday (March 19) would fall during what would later become Women's History Month because she was the very first woman to make a living as a comedian. And she didn't do it by playing safe.
Disguised as a "frumpy grandma" in a house coat and floppy hat, Mabley was able to get away with taboo topics like racism and sexuality that other comedians of the time wouldn't dare touch. Mabley was also a lesbian and would often wear men's suits as a sharp contrast to her onstage persona.
Her life and work have been forever cannonized in a recent HBO documentary directed by Whoopi Goldberg. Today,we take the time to honor someone who didn't earn enough credit during her lifetime. Happy belated birthday to you, Moms Mabley.
Watch a snippet from Goldberg's documentary:
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community