March to Protest Antigay Crimes in D.C. Draws Large Crowd
BY Josh Hinkle
March 21 2012 4:42 PM ET
Approximately 700 people marched in Washington, D.C., Tuesday night to stand up against crimes committed on LGBT people within a recent two-day period.
Patrick Pressman, a friend of one of the victims, organized the march. "It was a Facebook event and I expected maybe 15 to 50 people to show up," Pressman told the Washington Blade.
Cathy Lanier, chief of the Metropolitan Police Department of D.C., made a statement before the march began. "We have everybody working on this and I think everybody's committed," she told fellow marchers. "We kind of take it personally when people in our community are targeted."
The march started at the International House of Pancakes at 14th and Irving streets, where a 31-year-old gay man was shot March 11 after being called antigay names. Supporters marched to the intersection of Irving Street and Georgia Avenue, where a 29-year-old gay man was attacked and beaten the next day. The march ended at Cobalt, a local gay bar that hosted a fund-raiser for the second victim.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 min 1 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 23 min 58 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 10 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 23 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 24 min ago