Police to Investigate Whether Death Was Suicide or Hate Crime
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 28 2012 10:51 AM ET
After decades of urging, police in Sydney, Australia, announced they will be reinvestigating the 1988 death of a gay man amid fears he didn't commit suicide but was, according to the The Australian, a victim of "a gay-hate crime wave." The publication reported this week that the local coroner yesterday overturned a 23-year-old verdict of suicide in the case of Scott Johnson (pictured here), and police said, "The deaths of at least two other gay men, one of whom was found to have drowned, could also be potential murders and should be reinvestigated as well."
Johnson, who was 27 at the time of his death, was found at the bottom of a cliff overlooking a beach in northern Sydney. His brother Steve Johnson told The Australian, "For 23 years we've had a question mark hanging over why [Scott] died. The reason I've stuck with this for so long is not just because of my brother's death, but to shine a light on the crimes that don't get reported, and the police don't act."
Both Johnson and the deputy state coroner Carmel Forbes spoke of crimes against gay men in the 1980s and Forbes said this week that there was new evidence of "a culture of violence against the gay community in Sydney in the late 1980s" that police should consider.
The paper reports that 10 gay men may have died during that time, including a local news reporter Ross Warren, who was "thought to have been thrown from cliffs near Bondi by a gang targeting homosexuals."
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody
- Op-ed: Why LGBT Millennials Should Care About Adoption
- Marriage Equality Virginia AG Asks Court to Dismiss Marriage Ban Challenge 13 min 9 sec ago
- Health WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' 1 hour 2 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody UPDATED: 1 hour 9 min ago
- Style Meet Sexy German Designer Working With Alan Cumming & ARMANI 1 hour 35 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Consumer Reports Now Ranks HIV Meds 2 hours 21 min ago
- Music 10 Singles You May Have Missed This Year 2 hours 54 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Confronting the 'Glitter Mafia' 10:00 AM