Men Get 5 Years for Antigay Ambush in Atlanta
BY Lucas Grindley
July 14 2012 7:12 PM ET
Three attackers who ambushed a young gay man in February while leaving an Atlanta corner grocery and then posted it online seemingly to send a message have been sentenced to five years in prison each.
Brandon White — the young gay man seen balled up on the ground as he is punched, kicked and a tire thrown at his head — was in the courtroom as the sentences were announced, according to a report from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The attack included the assailants shouting "no faggots in Jack City," and the judge reportedly said he had no doubt it was motivated by homophobia.
One of the assailants can be heard telling the camera that it's "round one," but police caught the three men seen in the video — Dareal Demare Williams, Dorian Moragne, and Christopher Cain. Another man, Javaris Bradford, who is accused of video taping it has not been apprehended, the AJC reports.
A lawyer for the men told the AJC that they will face five years of probation after being released which will include community service and sensitivity training.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 34 min 22 sec ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 1 hour 7 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 2 hours 40 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 2 hours 44 min ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 2 hours 58 min ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 6:13 PM