UK Police Wrongly Took DNA From Gay Man
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 17 2013 12:14 PM ET
Stephen Close, a 50-year-old gay man who was jailed for gross indecency in 1983 for having sex with a fellow soldier in the British army, was shocked when police landed on his doorstep in Salford, England recently, demanding a DNA sample. Close told Raphael Satter of the Associated Press, "I was horrified that after all these years they suddenly decided to bring this up again. I've moved on from my life. I'm a businessman now. I've been a relationship for more than 10 years now. It's like someone's put a bomb under me."
"In the case of Mr. Close, our request was made without proper consideration of all the facts and once again for that I apologize," Manchester Deputy Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told the AP on Wednesday.
According to a press statement from Britain's Home Office, the head of the country's police forces, also agreed that the laws should be revised, saying that, "It is unacceptable that homosexual men have been living for decades with criminal records for consensual sex."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 49 min 11 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 1 hour 35 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 2 hours 2 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 2 hours 7 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 3:50 PM