Lesbian Couple Face Discrimination at Nevada Hospital
BY Michelle Garcia
August 21 2012 3:21 PM ET
Nevada woman Brittney Leon was experiencing complications from pregnancy when she checked into Spring Valley Hospital on July 20. When her domestic partner, Ann Simonelli, attempted to fulfil her role as a good partner by confirming that she could make any necessary medical decisions in a difficult situation, Simonelli was told she could not, because the couple did not possess a power of attorney.
Even when the couple said they were registered domestic partners, a hospital administrator told them that their policy required a medical power of attorney, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports. According to the article, the hospital had no problem accepting Leon's insurance, which was through Simonelli's employer. The article also pointed to the Obama administration's directive through the Department of Health and Human Services, mandating certain rights for same-sex couples in terms of hospital care.
Leon's doctor kept Simonelli updated on Leon's progress, because the doctor knew the couple's situation. Simonelli and Leon also said other medical professionals were kind to them. However, a 90-minute period lapsed in which Simonelli was not told about her partner's difficulties, including a large loss of blood. During the complicated hospital stay, Leon lost the child.
A woman who said she was the hospital's spokesperson told the Review-Journal that gay couples must have a power of attorney in order to make certain decisions. When the reporter asked her whether that policy violated the Obama administration's directive, the spokeswoman reportedly hung up the phone without answering the question.
"We went there thinking we had the state's backing, and then we were told we were wrong," Simonelli said. "It didn't matter that we were registered domestic partners. It should matter."
Simonelli and Leon said they would not press charges or report the hospital's mismanagement, but said they hoped more would be done to help gay and lesbian couples facing the same problems they had to endure.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 10 min 47 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 52 min 13 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 57 min 23 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 54 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM