How to Get the Best Night's Sleep
BY Advocate Contributors
March 08 2011 5:00 AM ET
So many of the ways in which people try and force themselves to fall asleep — alcohol, watching television, food — do nothing but exacerbate the problem. To really get a better night’s sleep, Dr. Oz offers five tips. We tried them out before passing them along.
Stop alcohol — It may make you feel tried at first, but the minute it has settled in your body, it will wake you right back up.
Light — Bedrooms should be like bat caves. Shut off the light, shut off the electronics, and close the shades. Dr. Oz says beds should be used for sleep and sex only.
Environment — The ideal sleeping temperature is 65 degrees. If that seems extreme, grab a blanket, because “it’s more difficult to cool down if you are hot.”
Extra Time — There is no benefit to the extra few minutes you get from hitting the snooze button. It merely restarts your sleep cycle. Ten minutes of snoozing will actually make you feel more tired than just getting out of bed.
Practice — No art is perfected over night. It takes practice. Dr. Oz suggests that “meditation, visualizing happy images, and counting backwards are all methods you can use to coax your body into relaxing.”
In addition, if TV, music or reading are all activities that help you to zone out, take it outside the bedroom. Too many electronic distractions while in bed actually force your brain awake and trick it into thinking it’s time to be up.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 37 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 37 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM