Falling Back to Sleep
BY Advocate Contributors
August 23 2011 9:00 AM ET
Blame it on the alcohol. Or a snoring partner or a honking horn or a hungry cat — all these are major culprits in rousing you out of your slumber in the middle of the night. For many people, it’s difficult to head back to dreamland after being awoken, but we have a few tips to help.
First off, it’s likely your suddenly woken mind is thinking about anything and everything—work, money, commitments, etc. Shut-eye will only come if you shut off that drone. Turn on a low light and read something really boring (e.g., an operation manual for a DVD player), suggests thesleepguide.com.
“Do not do anything that will stimulate your brain such as anything to do with work or school and do not switch the TV on,” according to the website, which adds that relaxing music (think classical or anything without lyrics) is fine to listen to.
But the timeless suggestion to count sheep actually works because your mind is focusing on something repetitive and soothing. A similar method: after closing your eyes, stare at and focus on the darkness. If you can push out those pesky thoughts about your to-do list, you’ll likely be back to sleep soon enough.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 21 min 12 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 59 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 34 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM