Houston after-hours club closed permanently
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2002 12:00 AM ET
Club Nsomnia, an after-hours club that served as a fund-raiser for the AIDS Housing Coalition of Houston, has permanently closed, the Houston Voice reports. Matt Locklin, executive director of the housing coalition and director of Club Nsomnia, said the lease on the building that houses the club has expired and won't be renewed.
The after-hours club did not sell alcohol, but members were allowed to bring their own. A July 20 raid on the club by agents of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission found that patrons were drinking alcoholic beverages after 2 a.m., a violation of state law, and the commission ordered the club's operators to ban alcohol from the premises. Attendance and donations fell sharply after that.
The coalition is now focusing on raising money by applying for private foundation grants and requesting assistance from the general public. The agency, founded in 1994, has helped more than 400 HIV-positive Houston-area residents find transitional or emergency housing.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 43 min 2 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 43 min 13 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 48 min 54 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 31 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 54 min ago