Public meeting on meth use held in San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 09 2003 11:00 PM ET
San Francisco officials, health experts, and members of the public attended a forum Wednesday to discuss the growing problem of crystal methamphetamine abuse and subsequent high-risk sexual behaviors by gay and bisexual men in the city, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. About 150 people attended the meeting, which focused on possible ways to curb rising levels of meth use among men who have sex with men.
According to city health officials, about 30% of men newly diagnosed with HIV during the past year reported using crystal meth. Gay and bisexual men who use the drug are twice as likely to become infected with HIV than as who do not use meth, and they are significantly less likely to use condoms.
Speakers at the meeting called for more city, state, and federal funding for mental health programs as well as drug abuse prevention and counseling because anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions often lead to substance abuse. City supervisor Bevan Dufty, who called for the public meeting, asked business leaders to contribute to treatment programs.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6 min 40 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM