HIV/HPV group formed to raise public awareness
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 19 2003 11:00 PM ET
Several AIDS organizations, the HPV Foundation, and two medical companies have collaborated to form the National HPV Co-Infection Alliance to raise public awareness of the dangers of HIV and human papillomavirus coinfection, Women's Health Weekly reports. HPV is the world's most common sexually transmitted disease and is present in as many as 90% of HIV-positive gay men. About half of all sexually active gay men are believed to be infected with HPV.
Many healthy people are able to clear the virus from their bodies without experiencing such symptoms as genital or anal warts, but HPV experts say people with damaged immune systems may never be able to fight off the infection and could be prone to ongoing complications. HPV has been shown in previous studies to be the leading cause of cervical cancer in women.
The newly formed alliance--comprising health officials, pharmaceutical and biotechnology experts, and representatives of AIDS service organizations--aims to educate the public about HPV and to seek financial support for HPV research. An initial nationwide campaign called "Get Tested, Get Treated" will begin this fall and will include public service announcements and symposia for health care providers.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM