Syphilis Jumps 60% in NYC, Mostly Among Gay, Bisexual Men
February 29 2008 1:00 AM ET
The New York City
Department of Health is reporting a 60% increase in the
number of syphilis cases in 2007 over the previous year in
2006, with much of that growth occurring in gay and
bisexual men, according to an article in the Gay City News.
you choose to spotlight it or put your magnifying
glass on it, syphilis is increasing in New York City," Susan
Blank, MD, assistant health commissioner, told GCN.
dropped from 616 in 2005 to 578 cases in 2006. GCN
reports that the Health Department has recorded 927
cases in 2007. (The Advocate)
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Arkansas County Clerk Resigns Over Marriage Equality
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Pride for Days In San Francisco
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'