Syphilis Jumps 60% in NYC, Mostly Among Gay, Bisexual Men
February 29 2008 1:00 AM ET
The New York City
Department of Health is reporting a 60% increase in the
number of syphilis cases in 2007 over the previous year in
2006, with much of that growth occurring in gay and
bisexual men, according to an article in the Gay City News.
you choose to spotlight it or put your magnifying
glass on it, syphilis is increasing in New York City," Susan
Blank, MD, assistant health commissioner, told GCN.
dropped from 616 in 2005 to 578 cases in 2006. GCN
reports that the Health Department has recorded 927
cases in 2007. (The Advocate)
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'