Cynthia Nixon Promotes Breast Cancer Awareness
April 17 2008 12:00 AM ET
Cynthia Nixon has
joined forces with the breast cancer organization Susan
G. Komen for the Cure and is going public with her own
battle with breast cancer.
Nixon, who is
reprising her role as Miranda in a movie version of HBO's
Sex and the City, to be released this summer,
had a lumpectomy two years ago and underwent 6-1/2 weeks of
radiation. She also helped her mother battle breast
''As the daughter
of a breast cancer survivor, knowing my personal risk
made me more aware and more empowered when I faced my own
diagnosis,'' the 42-year-old actress said in a
statement. ''I want to help Susan G. Komen for the
Cure educate the 1.1 million women around the globe who
face a diagnosis each year.''
Komen foundation is known for its Race for the Cure
Nixon will serve
as an ambassador for the organization and will share her
cancer experiences in a series of Web videos.
She told ABC's
Good Morning America on Tuesday that she
didn't want to make her cancer treatment public while she
was going through it. ''I didn't want paparazzi at the
hospital,'' she said. (AP)
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM