Study: 1 in 4 Adults in NYC Have Herpes
BY Mike Grippi
June 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
A city health
department study finds that a little more than a fourth of
adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes
genital herpes. The study, released Monday, says about
26% of New York City adults have genital herpes,
compared to about 19% nationwide.
says genital herpes can double a person's risk for
contracting HIV. Herpes can cause painful sores, but some
people have no recognizable symptoms. Among New
Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black
people, and gay men.
department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD
clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing. (AP)
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times