Study: 1 in 4 Adults in NYC Have Herpes
BY Mike Grippi
June 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
A city health
department study finds that a little more than a fourth of
adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes
genital herpes. The study, released Monday, says about
26% of New York City adults have genital herpes,
compared to about 19% nationwide.
says genital herpes can double a person's risk for
contracting HIV. Herpes can cause painful sores, but some
people have no recognizable symptoms. Among New
Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black
people, and gay men.
department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD
clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing. (AP)
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy