Study: 1 in 4 Adults in NYC Have Herpes
BY Mike Grippi
June 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
A city health
department study finds that a little more than a fourth of
adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes
genital herpes. The study, released Monday, says about
26% of New York City adults have genital herpes,
compared to about 19% nationwide.
says genital herpes can double a person's risk for
contracting HIV. Herpes can cause painful sores, but some
people have no recognizable symptoms. Among New
Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black
people, and gay men.
department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD
clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing. (AP)
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out