Study: 1 in 4 Adults in NYC Have Herpes
BY Mike Grippi
June 09 2008 11:00 PM ET
A city health
department study finds that a little more than a fourth of
adult New Yorkers are infected with the virus that causes
genital herpes. The study, released Monday, says about
26% of New York City adults have genital herpes,
compared to about 19% nationwide.
says genital herpes can double a person's risk for
contracting HIV. Herpes can cause painful sores, but some
people have no recognizable symptoms. Among New
Yorkers, the herpes rate is higher among women, black
people, and gay men.
department urges consistent use of condoms, and says its STD
clinics offer free, confidential herpes testing. (AP)
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'