Human Testing on Possible HIV Vaccine Starts in Jan.
BY Neal Broverman
December 20 2011 7:20 PM ET
A Canadian research team received a green light from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday to begin human trials on a potential HIV vaccine, the National Post reports.
Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, virologist at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont., is leading the research team that will conduct the clinical trials. After the group’s potential vaccine showed no side effects on rats and monkeys, the FDA agreed to advance it to the first of three phases of human trials, which can begin next month. The FDA is involved because Kang’s team is working with a Korean pharmaceutical company with patents in the U.S.; the company likely hopes to market the vaccine, if successful, in America.
The possible vaccine, in the works since 1987, is actually a dead HIV virus infected into cells. “So we infect the cells with a virus and then the infected cells will produce lots of virus and we can collect them, purify them and then inactivate them,” Kang said in a video posted on the University of Western Ontario’s YouTube channel.
The first human trial will utilize 40 HIV-positive patients to test the safety of the possible cure. The human trial's second phase will include 600 HIV-negative people considered high-risk for catching the disease — the third phase bumps that number to 6,000. Watch Kang discuss the human trials below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM