Human Testing on Possible HIV Vaccine Starts in Jan.
BY Neal Broverman
December 20 2011 6:20 PM ET
A Canadian research team received a green light from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday to begin human trials on a potential HIV vaccine, the National Post reports.
Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, virologist at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont., is leading the research team that will conduct the clinical trials. After the group’s potential vaccine showed no side effects on rats and monkeys, the FDA agreed to advance it to the first of three phases of human trials, which can begin next month. The FDA is involved because Kang’s team is working with a Korean pharmaceutical company with patents in the U.S.; the company likely hopes to market the vaccine, if successful, in America.
The possible vaccine, in the works since 1987, is actually a dead HIV virus infected into cells. “So we infect the cells with a virus and then the infected cells will produce lots of virus and we can collect them, purify them and then inactivate them,” Kang said in a video posted on the University of Western Ontario’s YouTube channel.
The first human trial will utilize 40 HIV-positive patients to test the safety of the possible cure. The human trial's second phase will include 600 HIV-negative people considered high-risk for catching the disease — the third phase bumps that number to 6,000. Watch Kang discuss the human trials below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 41 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 45 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM