Vermont conservatives propose bill to ban gay agenda in schools
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2001 12:00 AM ET
A group of conservative legislators in Vermont proposed a bill Tuesday that would make it illegal to encourage, promote, or sanction homosexual or bisexual conduct in schools. The lawmakers say the bill is necessary in light of the states passage of a law last year granting gay and lesbian couples legal recognition. I think the civil unions issue brought to the forefront that the homosexual agenda is very strongly being brought into the school systems of Vermont, said Rep. Nancy Sheltra, a Republican who is lead sponsor of the bill. Rep. William Lippert, a gay Democrat, countered, That bill is built on the premise that somehow the fact that gay and lesbian people are positive, contributing members of society will somehow be a threat to the children of Vermont. Its completely unfounded and perpetuates a stereotype and prejudice that does more damage to the children of Vermont than having them know the positive contributions of the gay and lesbian people of Vermont, including in the schools. The future of Sheltras proposal is unclear. Rep. Howard Crawford, the Republican chairman of the education committee, which would hold hearings on the bill, said he is reluctant to have the state determine what local curricula can cover. In addition to Sheltras bill, another Republican lawmaker, Rep. George Schiavone, introduced a bill Tuesday that would strictly define marriage in the state as between one man and one woman and ban recognition of same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM